Monday, August 23, 2010

Camelot Academy

Some of you guys have heard a lot about Camelot Academy.  Some of you may have heard nothing about it.  In a nutshell, it's one of my biggest dreams. . . and this whole post is going to be devoted to it!

I'm a dancer.  It's what I do, it's who I am.  I also have taught  - dance, martial arts, Vacation Bible School - for years and years.  I have a love of performance in all it's forms: theater, singing, gymnastics, etc.  And I've always liked the idea of healing people, which lead me to want to pursue a Doctorate of Physical Therapy.  I want to combine these things somehow, and Camelot is how I'm going to do it.

Camelot Academy (this is sort of like the project codename.  I'm not sure if I'll actually be calling it that or not) is my dream program, incorporating dance, gymnastics, theater, voice lessons, martial arts, and fitness together.  Here is how it will work:

The main center will be a high-caliber dance facility.  True classical ballet will be offered, as well as Jazz, Modern, Hip Hop, Tap, Contemporary, Pointe, Partnering, and Ballroom courses.  Supplemental programs will include seminars in Bellydancing, Indian Classical Dance, African Dance, Mime, Irish Step Dancing, etc.  And all of the teachers will be exceptionally qualified: professional and former professional dancers, well versed in their fields, with a call to teaching and knack for choreography.  The emphasis will not be on competition - it will be on refinement and performance.  An end of the year performance will be held every spring.

So far, all I've described is a Dance Studio.  But Camelot is something much more: it's a center for well rounded performing artists.  Also available at the main center, the dance studio, will be voice lessons - private and group - from qualified teachers.  Acting, Theater, Improv, Shakespeare courses will all be available as well, in this same facility.

Camelot Academy will be housed in more than one location.  The second branch will be a Gymnastics Academy: not just someplace where kids learn tumbling and gymnastic basics.  Someplace where true competitive gymnasts can train, under experienced coaches.

Also available - although I'm not yet sure at which location or if it will be it's own facility - will be a Martial Arts dojo.  High quality, safe instruction.

Each program will have set syllabuses, cross-referenced with each other an with courses designed specifically for Camelot Academy.  Tumbling and Acrobatics for Dancers: Intro to Movement for Gymnasts.  Movement II for Gymnasts. Fosse Jazz, Tap for Musical Theater, Self-Defense classes for performing artists.

Other classes will be offered by term (there will be three term a year, fall/winter, winter/spring, and summer) such as day long workshops about stage makeup, eating disorders, hair styling, weight training, etc.  The syllabuses and various programs will all be over seen by a physical therapist (thats me!) and physician.  This will reduce stress fractures, tendonitis, and incidents of other training-related injuries.

The final piece of the puzzle  is the gym.  Whether it is housed in one of the Camelot facilities or will be a partnership, there will be a full sized gym - offering all of the basic equipment, pool, and classes such as Pilates, Zumba, and Yoga.  Camelot students will have access to the gym and it's classes at discount rates, just as they have access to dance, theater, voice, gymnastics, and martial arts through cross training.

Can't you just imagine the artists and athletes this environment would produce?

This is my dream. . . this is my Camelot.

2 comments:

  1. I love your dream and am excited to see it come to fruition one day. Let me know if i can help in any way.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sarah! It's still just a dream: right now i'm working towards it by getting my degrees, dancingdancingdancing, and studying. I'll probably take some business classes, too! Just believe in it & me, thats all i can ask!

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete