Monday, April 4, 2011

Dance + Camera = New Post

Hello beautiful person reading my blog!  I apologize for my negligence: it's really been quite shameful.  I am back in teh blogging world, however, and have something fun to share with you.  Pictures!  At some point, one of you lovely followers had asked me to post pictures of myself dancing, and for the first time I think i'll be able to oblige.  All of the pictures of me in a dress are by Quigley Photography, which you can follow here.  All the pictures of me in a window/on a couch and wearing sweats were taken by my friends Karyl and Laura last Saturday!

Without any further ado, here is what happens when you ask a dancer to sit still for headshots:

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"Let us dance in the sun, wearing wildflowers in our hair. . ."
-Susan Polis Shutz



"To watch us dance is to hear our hearts speak."
-Hopi Indian Quote




The following pictures, on the other hand, are what happen when you ask a group of undergrad dancers to rehearse just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiittttllleee longer on a Saturday between shows.  I wish we'd planned ahead so we'd could have had things like dancewear (it was a marking/concept rehearsal), a good camera, the forethought to tidy the room. . . post script, I'm the one wearing the blue thermal, with the long hair.


"Evermore in the world is this marvelous balance of beauty and disgust, magnificence and rats."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson


"There's no secret to balance, you just have to feel the waves."
-Frank Herbert

"Never be afraid to try something new. . ."


"Similar creatures, we are chasing the pipe dream down,"
-Sara Barielles "Any Way the Wind Blows."



"Wish you would step back from the ledge my friend. . . you could, cut ties with all the lies that you've been living in. . ."
-Third Eye Blind "Jumper."

"We're fools whether we dance or not, so we may as well dance."
-Japanese Proverb

"Talent is luck: the important thing in life is courage."
-Woody Allen


"When you do dance, I wish you
A wave o' th' sea, that you might ever do
Nothing but that."
-William Shakespeare (The Winter's Tale)

We didn't plan on similar poses. . . thats just what happened spontaneously. 
"Friendship is being two halves of the same coin: not always matching but perfectly coordinated, and entirely useless apart.  "

"Now bring me that horizon. . . "
-Johnny Depp (Captain Sparrow) Pirates of the Caribbean


"I'll teach you to jump on the wind's back, and away we go."
-Peter Pan
(sidenote: i never had the slightest interst in being Tinkerbelle.  i've always wanted to be Peter Pan: with a voice and of my own, a sword, and limitless courage  Fighting pirates, starting food fights, climbing trees, listening to stories and roaming wheresoever i please with my Lost Boys)



"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts. . ."
-William Shakespeare (Much Ado About Nothing)


2 comments: